If you’re a mobility-scooter user, don’t think that you have to miss out on spring vacations. With a little forethought, you can have an amazing and enjoyable getaway. Planning ahead is the key to a stress-free trip.
- Get to the airport early if you’re flying, so that you can make the necessary screening arrangements.
- Make sure your hotel is truly accessible. Keep in mind that what most people think of as accessible may not be for the mobility-scooter user. Speak to area hotel representatives before you choose one. Some questions to ask: Is there a plug-in close to the bed so that you can charge your scooter easily? Is the bed in the hotel room the right height, so you can get in and out of it easily? Are there grab rails in the bathroom strategically placed by the toilet and tub/shower? Does the bathroom door swing out rather than in for better access?
- Find someone with a similar disability who lives in the area and can give you advice. The Internet makes it easy to find and solicit advice from someone who’s also a mobility-scooter user and lives in the area to which you are traveling. Search travel forums or other specialized sites if you don’t know someone. Ask for recommendations for barrier-free restaurants, hotels, shops and places of interest that you can enjoy on your vacation.
- Nix the group tour. While group tours can be wonderful, most are not set up for a mobility-scooter user. Transportation may not be accessible, and some travel locations may not be accessible either. Group tours are set up with the group in mind, and most aren’t geared to address any special accessibility or other needs you might have.
- Make sure to consult with your hotel’s concierge. Contact the concierge once you get to your hotel. He or she should be able to recommend accessible restaurants, shops and attractions in the area and can also suggest suitable transportation options.
- If needed reserve a travel scooter rental in advance.
For expert advice on mobility equipment and needs, contact the pros at Power Mobility & LIfts. We’re here to help!