Today’s power scooters and wheelchairs offer features to match every lifestyle and budget. They also come with a full range of safety mechanisms to help you avoid accidents and injury. Even so, it’s important to remember certain mobility-equipment tips.
Here are a few that we at Power Mobility and Lifts consider absolutely essential:
- Speak with your doctor or physical therapist to determine which device is best for your needs. This will ensure that you’re using the safest chair for your particular situation.
- Purchase your power scooter or wheelchair from a reputable vendor. A good vendor will provide training, professional fitting and adjustments, as well as ongoing maintenance. All of these services will help to keep you safe.
- Keep a cell phone or emergency-alert device with you at all times. If your chair malfunctions or tips or if you become trapped in some way, you need to have a way to get help fast.
- Try your power scooter or wheelchair in a new environment without getting training first. Training will help you avoid potentially dangerous situations that might otherwise put you at risk.
- Assume that all mobility devices are the same. Find the one that matches your size, dexterity, strength and usage. Accidents tend to happen when people use scooters or chairs that are unsuited to their needs.
- Overlook the importance of certain safety routines. Insist that your scooter or chair have mechanical brakes to prevent rolling down inclines by mistake. Only use a chair with an automatic shutoff in case of an emergency. And always follow the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedule. Keeping your power scooter or wheelchair in top working order is a simple way to stay safe.
At Power Mobility and Lifts, we’re dedicated to the health and safety of all of our customers. We’re available seven days a week to assist you with questions, concerns and even on-site maintenance. Contact us today for service throughout Arizona.
Scooter image via Shutterstock